大多数停电几乎一开始就会结束, 但有些可以持续更长的时间——长达几天甚至几周. 冻雨经常造成停电, 冻雨和/或大风会损坏电线和设备. 寒流或热浪也会使电力系统过载.
在停电期间, 你可以不用暖气/空调, 照明, 热水, 甚至是自来水. If you only have a cordless phone, you will also be left without phone service. 如果你没有电池供电或曲柄收音机, 你可能没有办法监控新闻广播. 换句话说，你可能会面临重大挑战.
You can greatly lessen the impact of a power outage by taking the time to prepare in advance. You and your family should be prepared to cope on your own during a power outage for at least 72 hours.
- 你可以安装一个非电的备用炉灶或加热器. 选择不依赖于电动机的加热装置, 电风扇, 或者其他电力设备. It is important to adequately vent the stove or heater with the type of chimney flue specified for it. Never connect two heating units to the same chimney flue at the same time.
- 如果你有一个燃烧木材的壁炉, have the chimney cleaned every fall in preparation for use and to eliminate creosote build-up which could ignite and cause a chimney fire.
- If the standby heating unit will use the normal house oil or gas supply, 是否由认证的商人连接截止阀.
- Before considering the use of an emergency generator during a power outage, 检查炉, appliance and 照明 fixture dealers or manufacturers regarding power requirements and proper operating procedures.
- Establishing a self-help network to assist and check on you during an emergency.
- Enrolling in a medical alert program that will signal for help if you are immobilized.
- Keeping a list of facilities that provide life-sustaining equipment or treatment.
- 如果你住在公寓里, advise the property management that you may need assistance staying in your apartment or that you must be evacuated if there is a power outage. This will allow the property manager to plan and make the necessary arrangements on your behalf.
- 首先，检查停电是否仅限于你家. If your neighbours’ power is still on, check your own circuit breaker panel or fuse box. If the problem is not a breaker or a fuse, check the service wires leading to the house. 如果它们明显损坏或落在地上, 退后至少10米，通知供电部门. 把这个号码和其他紧急号码放在电话旁边.
- If your neighbours’ power is also out, notify your electric supply authority.
- 关闭所有工具, 电器及电子设备, and turn the thermostat(s) for the home heating system down to minimum to prevent damage from a power surge when power is restored. Also, power can be restored more easily when there is not a heavy load on the electrical system.
- 关掉所有的灯, 除了里面一个，外面一个, so that both you and hydro crews outside know that power has been restored.
- 除非绝对必要，否则不要打开你的冰柜或冰箱. A full freezer will keep food frozen for 24 to 36 hours if the door remains closed.
- 不要使用木炭或煤气烧烤, 野营加热设备, 或者在室内或车库里安装家用发电机. 它们释放一氧化碳. Because you can’t smell or see it, carbon monoxide can cause health problems and is life-threatening.
- 使用合适的烛台. 不要让点燃的蜡烛无人看管，并将其放在儿童接触不到的地方. 睡觉前一定要把蜡烛熄灭.
- Listen to your battery-powered or wind-up radio for information on the outage and advice from authorities.
- 确保家里有一个能正常工作的一氧化碳探测器. If it is hard-wired to the house’s electrical supply, ensure it has a battery-powered back-up.
- 保护敏感电器，如电视, 电脑, 以及配有防浪保护电源条的DVD播放机.
家用发电机在停电时可用作后备电力, 但只能按照制造商的指导使用. A back-up generator may only be connected to your home’s electrical system through an approved transfer panel and switch that has been installed by a qualified electrician. Never plug a generator into a wall outlet as serious injury can result when the current produced by the home generator is fed back into the electrical lines, 然后转化为更高的电压. This can endanger the lives of utility employees working to restore the power.
- Ensure that the generator operates outdoors in well-ventilated conditions, 远离门窗, 永远不要在你的车库里, 防止废气进入屋内.
- 将电灯和电器直接连接到发电机上. If extension cords must be used, ensure they are properly rated, CSA-approved cords.
在冬季，疏散更有可能, 当骤降的气温可以使房子适合居住时. Although a house can be damaged by low temperatures, the major threat is to the plumbing system. If a standby heating system is used, check to see that no part of the plumbing system can freeze.
If the house must be evacuated, protect it by taking the following precautions:
- Turn off the main breaker or switch of the circuit-breaker panel or power-supply box.
- 把进房子的总水管关掉. Protect the valve, inlet pipe, and meter or pump with blankets or insulation material.
- 把水管系统里的水排干. Starting at the top of the house, open all taps, and flush toilets several times. 去地下室把排水阀打开. Drain your 热水 tank by attaching a hose to the tank drain valve and running it to the basement floor drain.
- 注:如果你把燃气水箱的水放干, the pilot light should be turned out – call the local gas supplier to re-light it.
- 不担心少量的水困在水平管道中. Add a small amount of glycol or antifreeze to water left in the toilet bowl, 还有水槽和浴缸的陷阱.
- 如果你的房子有一个污水泵来保护地下水, 清理地下室的贵重物品以防水淹.
- Do not enter a flooded basement unless you are sure the power is disconnected.
- 不要使用浸水的电器, 插座, switch boxes or fuse-breaker panels until they have been checked and cleaned by a qualified electrician.
- Replace the furnace flue (if removed) and turn off the fuel to the standby heating unit.
- 打开总开关(前), 检查以确保用具, 电加热器, 电视, 微波计算机, 等. 拔掉电源以防止电涌造成的损坏).
- Give the electrical system a chance to stabilize before reconnecting tools and appliances. 先把加热系统的恒温器打开, followed in a couple of minutes by reconnection of the fridge and freezer. Wait 10 to 15 minutes before reconnecting all other tools and appliances.
- 打开供水系统. 关闭 lowest valves/taps first and allow air to escape from upper taps.
- Make sure that the 热水 heater is filled before turning on the power to it.
- Check food supplies in refrigerators, freezers and cupboards for signs of spoilage. 如果冰箱门一直关着, 食物应该冷藏24到36小时, 这取决于温度.
- 当食物开始解冻时(通常在两天之后), it should be cooked; otherwise it should be thrown out.
- 作为一般的预防措施，在冰箱里放一袋冰块. If you return home after a period of absence and the ice has melted and refrozen, 食物很有可能变质了.
- Restock your emergency kit so the supplies will be there when needed again.